Stay in Touch

Type your email address in the box below to get our free email news updates:


Subscribe to our news feed

Contact Details

Address: Water of Leith Visitor Centre, 24 Lanark Road Edinburgh EH14 1TQ

Telephone: 0131 455 7367

Fax: 0131 443 1682


Opening Times

The visitors centre is open every day from 10.00am to 4.00pm.

Except Christmas and New Year - Closed from 24th Dec to 3rd January.

Click here to find us on a map.

Search This Site
What are you looking for?
Log in

19 - Sandport Place

Welcome to Leith. The mouth of the Water of Leith river formed a natural harbour, and since Roman time settlements have sprung up on either bank. These were joined by a ford, a ferry and then the first bridge in 1486. The area has a fascinating and long history. It suffered battles between French and English, and religious strife, but by the 18th century the growth of overseas trade and ship-building had made it Scotland's chief seaport.

It was also an industrial hub for ship-building, sail and rope-making, bottle making, timber yards, and soap and sugar factories. While it served as Edinburgh's port, and much of its lands were owned by Edinburgh, it was a separate and independent burgh from 1833 until 1920, when its amalgamation into the capital was resented by many Leithers. A downturn in Leith's industries in the 20th century has caused a slow decline in Leith, which was only arrested in the 1980s with greater public and private investment.

Now there are signs of revitalization everywhere, with restored buildings along the shore and at the waterside a cruise liner terminal and the former Royal Yacht 'Britannia' all acting as a magnet for visitors. Leith has had to wait a long time for all this, but then the town's motto is "Persevere".

The Walkway continues along the part pedestrianised street called The Shore. This impressive row of buildings might be said to be the heart of Leith, with its mix of housing in the Timber Bush, and its variety of waterside bars and restaurants. Here we see further works of artwork, memorials and statues of interest including a reminder of another side of Leith's history, a harpoon gun once used on whaling vessels by the firm Christian Salvesen. The final audio point is at the end of the Walkway at the Victorian Swing Bridge.