The Slateford Torc. These are photographs of the replica Slateford Torc, which was found when the foundations for the railway bridge was being constructed in 1846, very close to where the centre is today. They were shared with us by a supporter but originate from the National Museum of Scotland. The original was sold to a jeweller and melted down, but someone had the foresight to make a copy before it was destroyed. The Torc was more common in the South-West part of Great Britain and dates to about 1400 -1100 BC. It is about 4ft long and about 3/8 inch thick.