After a period of local consultation with key stakeholders the City of Edinburgh Council have decided to use Flexipave as an alternative to Ultitrec on the route from Slateford to Balerno.
The contractor is due to be on-site on 20th March with the Flexipave surfacing working from Colinton to Juniper Green. This work will mean short term closures of sections of the route. Diversions and notices will be posted locally. The work is being funded by Sustrans and delivered by Edinburgh and Lothian Greenspace Trust on behalf of City of Edinburgh Council. There may also be closures at Kinleith as works to improve the drainage ahead of the re-surfacing continues.
(KBI Flexi-Pave) has been chosen as it is suitable for all user groups including walkers and cyclists and it is not designed to provide a much faster route for cyclists, rather it has the following benefits providing a better experience for everyone:
- Sustainable product which is manufactured from recycled car tyres
- Very high levels of porosity, helping to stop ponding and ice forming on path surface
- Compatible with SUDs systems
- Highly chemical resistant
- High levels of durability and very low maintenance
- Good impact absorption
- Ideal for paths through play areas
- Suitable for all path users, providing a durable and comfortable surface
- Excellent anti-slip qualities due to rubber content